Hello from Sweden

That is a big hopper on that Gasifier. Maybe double lined hopper for gases moisture and it held wood chips? Did they mean what we call wood chunks? Humm I wonder.
Big tank on the side condensation tank. The other side filter? Very interesting.
Bob

4 Likes

And here you can buy an instruction book for the unit, although it is probably a little older.

6 Likes

Bob, I trust Göran on the wood chips. Production of this gasifer design was supposed to be scaled up to be used by the general public in Sweden during the oil cricis.
I THINK one tank is a hot fabric filter and the other one a condensation tank, but I can’t tell for sure.

5 Likes

Your both right, it’s double lined hopper for condensation, and it’s intended for “chips”, there was also possibility to use chunks, in that case the “upside-down bucket” i mentioned was not used, and the restriction should be changed to a bigger one. They intended using chips for some important cars like postman, county Police, doctors, because the fuel could be directly supplied at paper mills in case of a fuel shortage.
There was actually about 40 of these cars in use at above mentioned services, during a 3 year period, to try it out, and train personal to be ready, also in the military they did this.
I could mention that people that get one of this cars, often against their will, wasnt very positive about it. :grinning:
Jan, that book you mention is for Volvo “eftertanken” as they where nicknamed during the war, probably a charcoal gasifier, but im not 100 sure about it. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Volvo gasifier.

1. Chip hopper.
  2. condensate tank
  3. Cooler condensate tank.
  4. Ash cleanout port.
  5. Filter, soot cleanout lid

Condensate gutter
    Nozzles
    Restriction
    Air inlet
    Hearth mantel
    Grate, automatic shaken
6 Likes

That is very impressive on this Volvo design not that far away from the WK Gasifier just missing WK Firetube design with turn down ratio build into it. A drop box and cooling rails I do not see. Must be doing hot gases through the filtering.
Bob

3 Likes

Yes it is a hot filter, made from glass-fibre fabric, cooler is only a short pipe, with a smaller pipe inside, making cooling air passing outside and inside, sorry i have no better pic’s.
Cooler is the horizontal pipe between 5 and 3.

5 Likes

They probably ran a cooler up front on the vehicle with metal piping to the cooler and engine. Or metal piping up to the engine. This piping is a cooler also.
Bob

3 Likes

Yes, there was metal piping all the way, no additional cooler.
An old guy that learned me alot about woogassing told me; in sweden there is no need for a cooler because of low outside temperatures, he told me to use wide piping to get lower gas speed and therefore sufficient cooling, at my old Volvo i had 2x2 1/2" pipes step down to 3" then 2 1/2" before filter. After filter 2" to engine, worked well for me. Gas temp at inlet 30-40°c summertime.

6 Likes

We are a little more moderate temperatures here just below the 49° latitude. More cooling tubes required to get the gases to due point to get the moisture to drop out of the gases.
Bob

6 Likes

Yes, that makes sense, at my chevy i have a big cooler to get a “controlled” temperature drop, to get most moisture of the gas. I also have a condensate “trap” where gasline goes upward into engine compartment.
At this Volvo i think they just had a drain plug at gaslines lowest point.

6 Likes

Goran how did you sew together your fiberglass sheet? Did you use a special thread in a sewing machine or did you staple it together?

3 Likes

Hi Cody, i hand sewed it together, very time consuming, i sat at my front porch every afternoon, after work, almost a week :exploding_head:, and the glass-fibre fabric made my arms itched, but i didn’t regret it when it was done.
I have thougt about some kind of cut-open pipes to “clamp” together the fabric when doing my new filter.
I got lucky with the sewing thread, i asked at a upholsterer shop if they could recommend something, she telled me she often repaired fireproof overalls for firefighters, and gave me half a spool for free :slightly_smiling_face: this was spun glass-fibre sewing thread capable to withstand 1200°c. She also telled me i have to use a industrial heavy-duty sewing machine if i not sewed by hand.
I should see if i can find the spool, see if there is brand-name or something on it.

7 Likes

Edit: Oops just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, moving it to mine.

1 Like

I would think that the heat in the filter container would far below the range of the high heat red silicone. It will glue the seams together after you staple the the seams. Kinda messy from my experience with using silicone.
Bob

2 Likes