JO's gasified 92 Volvo

Agree that with such a compression ratio, the ignition timing adjustment is almost irrelevant.
:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Neighbours know my needs. They supply me with more paper grossery bags than I need. Paper bags will let some remaining chunk moisture evaporate at long term storing indoors.

Video below :grin:
80km one way to m-in-law’s.
We had a couple pops on our way home, but the good news is there was enough wood left in the hopper for another 20km or so when fueling up for our return trip. And no need for hybriding :grin:

I lifted wife up for some cherry picking :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: She managed to pick 26 kg (56 pounds) in a couple hours.

17 Likes

Was the 200°C at the gas exit or in the hopper?

1 Like

Cody, those 200 C (392 F) is woodgas coming out of the heat exchanger. Before it enters the cooler.
The hopper never reaches boiling temp, unless you run really low on wood. 60-70C is normal operating temp.

4 Likes

Wow I’m impressed JO, these Volvo’s have a really good engine for DOW. I could hear the engine chugging up the hill at 2500 rpms. Nice. Thanks for the ride to your mother inlaw’s house, she has a wonderful Son in law.
Bob

6 Likes

Thanks for the Tuesday ride in your Sunday car. I’m impressed!

8 Likes

Thanks for letting us ride with you JO .

Don’t forget the lemons :smile:

8 Likes

It goes incredibly well, and it does not get hot either, with that you have really succeeded.
Thanks for the ride. :grinning:

7 Likes
2 Likes

JO what is going on?

Haha, nothing special. Days off from work, beat from chores around the house during the day, had a couple beers and ended up on fb for the first time in a long time :smile:

7 Likes

Back to business.
Wife just told me she put this on her facebook. I had no idea. Me squeezing wood (+a bucket of char) into the hopper for a long trip.

https://youtu.be/t9UI8Qv1xcA

14 Likes

JO, I am keeping low profile until there is the time to DO something. But got this one today and thought it is Swedish. At least it sounds like knakkebrod.
Enjoy the free time, if there is any.

5 Likes

Thanks Joep!
It’s Swedish alright. I consider myself a pretty good “trailer-backer”, but I can’t compete with those guys :smile:

5 Likes

Impressive build, the Volvo. Better then you expected? I did a lot of reading last weeks ( and hope to really contribute some to this fantastic community), but for a part it is still black magic?

4 Likes

Yes, and I contribute that 50/50 to the WK-inspired gasifier/higher compression ratio.

5 Likes

Proven concept. Next book for me. But I am looking for a hardcopy. Only real books for me. And premium member. So I wont ask about WK details, until then.

6 Likes

JoepK you will need an American or Canadian sponsor friend to be able to get the “Have Wood Will Travel”, WK plans system book. Because of the EU taxing situation.
Someone liking you. Wanting to help you out.

Me? I’ve done this twice now already in the last 12 months and am tapped out for another year or so.
Regards
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Thanks Mr Steve. Garry Tait was very helpfull but the bank was very complicated. So waiting for another opportunity. And read the dutch book you suggested. Very complete guide Dutch John mentioned it too. Got his number. As soon as I build some real, I give him a call.

Sorry JO for the hijack.

3 Likes