JO's gasified 92 Volvo

What do I need to do? I was going to donate a book to the local library, anyhow. This would be more fruitfull.

7 Likes

JO,
Can you post a link for your startup blower? Also, if anyone is using check valves in their startup system, I’d like to know what is used. I have been driving more lately and am interested in simplifying the startup and shutdown procedure.

3 Likes

Steve, there are several suppliers world wide. I think this is what I ordered last time. They are good for several years of everyday use. Not even $10.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwia9bLm_rDyAhWF1XcKHTeOB5oYABAMGgJlZg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2aOmVi0h33MGhGITttHTuk-UJ8adowhMRgrkkK8gX0vNwU3LT0zRrEgZ3TUae8rTsfz3R-4JNNPRkUPeTlrS7&sig=AOD64_1Wqd2W7cRRlsBK9cDUgJrc4HVeLA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwi9jqTm_rDyAhUbR_EDHeYpBzsQwg96BAgBEDg&adurl=

1 Like

I have one just like it from eBay. I used it on the Joni Mini clone. Very handy because I use the 110v for testing and the 12v once it’ll be finished.

1 Like

@KristijanL suggested using a table tennis ball a couple years back. I’ve made a couple checkvalves in my thinking chair, but none in real life.

4 Likes

JO beet me to it. Exactly what l wanted to say. Its tho only checkvalve that worked relyabyly for me.

4 Likes

Is this what we call pingpong balls the little light weight white ball about a 1" in diameter that can be crushed if stepped on it ?
Bob

3 Likes

Thanks, JO and Cody, for info on the blower. I now have one on order from ebay.

2 Likes

Closer to 2", but yes, pingpong is the name of the game.

3 Likes

Just wanted to tell you I did my first cleanout at ~500 miles. Wasn’t needed. Almost no soot in the heatex and cooler. Only a very thin coating. Nothing at all downstream the filter bucket - I’m amazed.
I contribute this to the “huge common under the grate and heatex dropbox”. Works much better than any of the cyclones on my previous builds. Whenever I open the rear condensate valve, only the very first table spoon of water is black. Food for thoughts to anyone.

13 Likes

My redneck engineering wants to say maybe the larger opening for the gas to flow is keeping turbulence down so it’s less likely to send soot along with the gas?

6 Likes

Ops!

14 Likes

Are they just having a bit of fun or did the Volvo get you in trouble for speeding?

4 Likes

Tell us more!!! Iights mean a bad sign here!

6 Likes

It wasnt the Extra Stark was it? :smile:

6 Likes

Well they are smiling so it couldn’t have been all bad!

6 Likes

I’ve been out of the loop for many months. I took over my dad’s ice business mid spring and that has had us very busy…being added to the mechanic shop, gardens, rescue squad, WOODGAS2020, and everything else. So I’ve been letting Jakob keep me up to date on DOW news.
Just now finally had a few minutes to read through JO’s thread here. Really nice build JO.

Can’t you add a tank inline somewhere to collect a larger volume of gas to pull from? We see this on the WK’s also. There are times when you use up the production and need more. Some of the builds with an under-bed condensate tank have better reserves. We don’t use them here anymore…I think they take longer to get lit and get good gas coming through when you start off…especially when you have any tiny leaks…but wouldn’t that help your hesitation?

We have broken those you gave Jakob also. The plastic doesn’t seem to be strong enough.

Fuel,for sure.

I only have backfires when I have air leaks down stream of rails, pre-intake.
and hopper farts when I have big air leaks in the hopper.
And I can’t remember the last time I/we burned out the intake on my truck.

I like your eval K.

I don’t think a tooth will hurt anything…except performance on gasoline.

In the late 90’s, during and right after college, I worked in a shop where we had the contract for all the ALAGASCO trucks. They all ran on natural gas or gasoline hybrid. They were having this problem a lot too…especially after they had 40k on a tune up. They kept sending us to school to RE-learn how to service their systems…they never did get it totally figured out…at least until after I moved away. But the problem was improved by more regular spark plug/distributor/rotor button change/service and introducing a vacuum canister (a 2 gallon plastic void) inline between the air filter box and the intake.

JO, that is inevitable. The camera rolling makes the project take longer every time. Same thing with teaching a class or doing a demo in person.

Now you will blow pipes apart…

Unless you want a bunch of mess in your delivery pipes…

JO, what do ya’ll use for lemons so far north? :cold_face: There must be some arctic fruit or nut that will help with the SWEM.

JOEP, I love the trailer video…Absolutely cracked me up.

That gets better when you start “DOING” it. I remember feeling totally lost when I started DOWing. Now I only feel half lost.
On the other hand, there’s always something else to learn. But it’s a great place to do so.

Laughing so hard I can’t see straight. :rofl: :joy:

Well, JO didn’t answer yet…so maybe he’s in the pokey.

7 Likes

Wow @BillyAlabama , that’s a complete morning service you’ve written :smile:
No, I’m not in the pokey.
@KristijanL It was not the Extra Stark :smile:
@Norman89 and @ForbiddenTuna You’re right. Nothing bad, and I was not busted for speeding. I just past a sharp bend crossing the tracks. The speed was low. Why they used lights and sirens, I don’t know. I didn’t ask.
Only the usual questions - how far I get on one hopper, top speed and such. Also, they asked me what inspection says. I told them the truth - still in the experimental/prototype-stage - not yet inspected. One of the officers glanced at the tiny trail of smoke coming from the hopper lid and said:

• So you’re not yet running on wood then?
    I replied a short:
  • Right!
    We exchanged a short smile and that was it.

Oh, and just when they returned to their car I remembered my last mistake - forgetting about the camera.
I holler (right?) them back, told them about DOW and asked them to contribute with a photo.

19 Likes

Thanks to them for the photo opportunity and glad your not in the pokey!

10 Likes

Thanks for the picture JO . Glade to see they were smiling and not writing :blush:

12 Likes