The Big Tour

Don’t get too excited, this is me planning WAY into the future. Right now I don’t even have the vehicle for it. But someday I do plan to make “The Big Tour” happen.

The idea is, I would take a summer roadtrip and see all the woodgassers around the country. Along the way do a video blog about it, or interviews, something like that. Maybe even a full on documentary.

I started putting people on the map, and came up with around 50 stops, even venturing into Canada!

[Sorry I can’t share the actual map, the locations are too specific and it would violate DOW user privacy.]

I have no idea what kind of mileage this would be, I’ll update this if I figure it out. EDIT: at least 12K. Probably closer to 15.

If I timed it right, I should be able to hit a woodgas meetup or two, maybe a Mother Earth News fair.

Let me know what you think, and if you would be up for such a visit someday. Each stop I would want to take some video, get a tour of your place, a ride/demo of your setup, refuel and possibly spend the night (probably will have a helper).

Again this is not in the near future. I’m mostly just thinking out loud, and looking for feedback.

14 Likes

That sounds very interesting and many of the wood drivers could stock some dry wood up ahead of time, might have too plan 8 too 10 mounth ahead too have dry wood slabs ready too cutt or ready too load for next destinations.And over night camping no problems here.Good luck getting far enough ahead of every day expences, documentary and lots of vidios.

3 Likes

Hop by here, it would sure increase your mileage… :grin:

Jokes aside, just do it…

1 Like

That would make my day(s). We all spend a lot of time sharing our passion for wood gas via computer but this would be over the top excitement. We will leave the light on for you and a big BBQ planned. Plenty of wood to share.
NH Hbbyloggr

2 Likes

You can put me on the map. I will have have all the fuel you’l need when you leave. They call this God’s Country and you may not want to leave.

1 Like

Hey Chris .

I’m not leaving a light on for you , you already know where all the switches are and the doors are open :relaxed:

2 Likes

We may already have enough bags of wood to at least get you to your next destination. Give us a few days warning and we’ll have the scallops and lobsters on hand too.

3 Likes

Great idea!
Plenty of dry chunks are ready
Fresh salmon dinner
And if you like to fly, a tour of Seattle in my Cessna 172

5 Likes

An epic adventure, I envy you! MEN fair is a great idea, maybe some “Wood Power Tour” legs with some other wood drivers, or hook up with the “Other” Power Tours. Food, shelter, & wood are ready for you whenever you are ready.

2 Likes

From what I can see on the map you have East Wenatchee on there. Would love to have you visit and meet you. It was unfortunate that when I came to pick up the truck I did not get to meet you.
Bob

1 Like

Food, Shelter, Dry chunked Wood, and all sizes of Charcoal are available here, too. Of course, you would have to put up with lots of “show and tell”, including electric cars and solar panels.
I believe the map posted above has an entry for me, and one about 50 miles N.W. for Martin. Move his entry to Fayetteville/Ellinger, which puts it 60 miles S.E. of me, on the way to Houston.
(It does gets really hot here from May until November, though, so the winter months have more human type weather.)
Been retired for more than 20 years, so timing is not important.

2 Likes

Thanks. My info on everybody is really old.

Ray M has got the right idea, take a entire pack of wood gasers on the hole trip.If i had the reserve resoures i would try too keep up with my toyota wood gasser.

1 Like

Nice to plan/dream ChrisKY.
You’ve got a helluva gap to fill-in in the states of ID, NV, MT, WY, UT, AZ, N.D., S.D., CO and NE.
Seasonal weather planning this is going to be restrictive. You really do not want to be western mountains traveling the US and Canada in the November thru May time of the year.

Plan on a lightweight, portable way to cut fuel chunks like Wayne’s tablesaw/generator combo. Many may have wood down and dry - but not chunked up to your size range.

The Visitor house here is nearly always available for pre-knowns. Freezers full of meats. Little charcoal BBQ just minutes to set up year around. Camera rules here of course.
Now if a “possee” of hanger-ons sweeps up - don’t. Please just I-5 pass on by. Pre-shout-out and I drive out and just meet many at one of the I-5 town’s restaurants/parks. Ha! Ha! “Deliverance” roads lose less folks that way. Saves them half-a-day going and coming if just traveling through the area.

Practice. Patience. Persistence.
J-I-C Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Thanks Steve. I doubt there’ll be a “posse” by the time I hit the west coast. The desert should knock most of them back… LOL.

That big gap out west is actually OK with me… I can cover the ground quickly enough. Not a purist about using some gasoline if wood is scarce. Plus I may do some sightseeing in Colorado, visit Pikes Peak, etc. I have non-woodgas friends I’d like to visit as well.

4 Likes

Hi Chris

It would be a great honor to have your visit to Gaspésie ( Quebec )
We have everything we need to get you. (Accommodation, meals … and wood ! ) :grinning:

Thierry

2 Likes

sounds like a good time stop by any time its always nice to see others from the group.

2 Likes

Sounds like a blast. Maybe by the time you make the tour I will have something running on wood gas for you to see.

1 Like

One of my goals was to drive to the four bodies of water bordering the US on wood . ( Pacific , Atlantic, Great Lakes and The Gulf of Mexico ) . There were a lot of miles between this water :relaxed:

4 Likes

Always welcome Chris. Not much Woodgas related going on these days though. We are About 4 hours north east of Toronto, 4 hours south east of Arvid.
David

1 Like