Transmission belt made from tires on woodgas small engine

14 Likes

Great picture. Lovely setup.

4 Likes

hello woodgas friends, here our first charcoal gasifier stationary unit with 5 hp briggs engine .we use it for a little treshing engine and for the band-saw, self built, you see in the background…
old engines have often the transmission wheels for flat leather belts, this leather belts are difficult to find nowadays and when you can find new ones they are very expensive, the old ones are often hard and breaks, further the tend easily to slip if you dont use the transmission wax.
so people when using historic engines for work they often change the belt wheels to wedge-shaped belt wheels.
we have had the idea to make the belts from tractor tires and also from car tires and it works really well and dont slip…
how they are to make: first you must try with a magnete for example if inside the tire has steel wire or not … with steel you cannot cut -tractor tires has not often steel inside, car tires often…
the cutting work must be made with a very sharp knife , a second person must keep open the split and give always water where the knife cuts. in other way there is too much friction of the rubber and cutting is nearly impossible…also a good system for self -sufficienters recycling fans, and i would say they lost nearly eternal, my first has now more than twenty years and the tire was just old when i made it…

16 Likes

This is very good information. We have a special thread for things like this, Tools, Tips and Tricks.
Rindert

3 Likes

That’s interesting Giorgio. I am guessing you are taking about the small belt powering the thresher. How was the long belt made?

1 Like

6 Likes

A picture is worth a thousand words. I like that. When I used to install conveyor systems I must have thrown thousands of feet of old conveyor belt into dumpsters. To stupid to have saved any, but it looked just like that.

2 Likes

hello tom, the long belt is made in the same way than the shorter one , the short one is made from a car tire, the long one is from a tractor back wheel tire, this gives relative long belts.
if the needed lenght is not enough, you can make together the pieces from two or more tires with a selfmade hinge how you can see at the photo, the screws need of course on the inner part - where the belt runs- a flathead… the belt on the foto is made from 3 tractor tires and is about 10 meters long - opened. the belts are relatively heavy and make a good belt tension by their own weight. the belt wheels must stand in exact line, also horizontal, otherwise the belt runs easily down from the wheel…

6 Likes

hello rindert, thanks for the tip of the link…i wonder if there in the forum is also a foto-gallery? this would be very helpfull for searching,

2 Likes

http://www.imtreibhaus.de/moodle/file.php/1/HV_Druck.pdf
not knowing yet DOW i picked up my first ideas for building from this link, a project from a german university -bremen- for rural areas in south america with charcoal gasifiers…
the nozzle from upside but at my gesifier melted quickly away thoug it was robust cast tube from a old wooden cart wheel… the same i use in my forge, and there no problems, because comes from the side

2 Likes

so the solution for the nozzle… in this manner is also regulable in height.
on top is the container for light the gasifier when the hopper is full…

3 Likes

igniting the gasifier: in the little roud container is given glowing charcoal or is ignited with alcohol there , lighted up a bit by turning the startup blower… when glows well it was sticked down in the pipe, so comes near the nozzle, than the little round container is closen by an airthighd lid and than stronger blowing for ignite the gasifier…
in this way the gasifier must not always be emptied for arrive the nozzle for igniting…

4 Likes

the blower from the first model…
where it enters in the hopper ther is a air gate for closing instead of a ball valve oe gate valve-low cost .
when the gasifier is stopped it must be closen otherwise makes a chimney effect and burns a lot of coal more…

3 Likes

the actual grate- view from the ash port. holes 10mm…
made from the plate from a electric cooking stove…
about every half hour is to move two or three times for security , but seems it not plugs quickly…

5 Likes

the new nozzle,made by a thick cast iron piece, the pieces from water installation hardware melt to fast…

7 Likes

Mr. George, yes, when gasifying charcoal, I first used a ceramic nozzle, which melted quickly, and then replaced it with a metal made of high-alloy steel, but if we could get a Mercedes in front of the chamber, it would take a long time.
s-l400 (3)

4 Likes

hello tone, no sir please, only giorgio is ok!!
i dont understand what you mean with the mercedes in front of the chamber??
in the stainless gasifiers i have big nozzles of stainless pieces…

4 Likes

Well, George, I see that you are a humble and faithful man, like Brother Francis, and for me only one Lord is written with a capital letter. Well as for the nozzle, the material from which these diesels in front of the chambers are made is really amazing, if I installed it in a charcoal gasifier, it would take a long time, …

5 Likes

yes tone, only one lord written in capital letters in our heart, god himself came to our earth as jesus christ…secret of trinity…to become wise in the things that belongs to our life here ,as we talk about in the forum , and - more important - to become wise to recognize what is important for our eternal life…
do you know jakob lorber, born in your home country slowenia, and the new rivelations?

8 Likes

Živjo George, da, slišal sem za Jakoba, vendar na žalost ne poznam podrobnosti o njem, vendar je res, kar je rekel naš Gospod, ne moreš oznanjati Božje besede na svojem mestu. Kot opažam, tukaj zbiramo ljudi, ki spoštujejo božje stvarstvo, ga poskušajo razumeti in skušajo ohraniti. Naj Bog blagoslovi vas in našo skupnost ter razsvetli naše misli.

4 Likes