What methods have been tried to combat the loss of engine power

the diameter of the muffler outlet of my car is 40 mm and the diameter of the tube from the hopper is 10 mm. but you need to adjust, since the speed of the exhaust gases is different for different motors.

5 Likes

Now l feel sorry for not trying this on my builds. Since l wasnt able to mske a condensing hopper, this might of worked.

I imagine the draw allso keeps the temps up. Good for idle and takeoff!

3 Likes

friends, this is the bunker steam extraction system in action.

11 Likes

Joni, okay the BSES in action , I like it. Thanks for the video.
Bob

4 Likes

Bobmac,
this improvement allows me to ride fresh cut acacia. (chips made from it)

6 Likes

Hi Joni

i have an updraft, charcoal, on a 1993 toyota pickup. my charcoal is damp because of my humid and cold climas. Could this design improve my gas?

Uploading: DSC_1961.JPG…

Thierry in Qc

2 Likes

Trigaux,
to be honest, I have never dealt with coal gasifiers and I can only say one thing; there are many designs of coal-fired gas generators in which the forced supply of water to the core is provided (to increase the content of hydrogen in the gas), and on the contrary, you take water … I think that this will only lead to worse consequences (the calorific value of the gas will drop). Another important question regarding your drawing, namely, the air supply to the gas generator, will such a scheme be efficient? Air will simply be sucked in through both channels and cause upper combustion, because everything always follows the path of the lowest resistance, which means that it will be extremely difficult to implement your scheme in practice. If I were you, I would simply make coal in smaller batches, so that during storage it gains less moisture or use a monorator.

5 Likes

Hi Joni, in the video whos car is the red car? The gasifier is not hiden in the trunk of the car. I thought you had to hide them to drive in your country. Or is it just for the yearly inspection of the car by authorities, the car has to be in it normal running conditions for that make and model of that year.
Bob

1 Like

Bobmac,
Тhere is no technical inspection in my country yet, but they promise to introduce it from 2022. Responsibility for the technical condition of the vehicle rests entirely with the driver. The entire gas generator is made in the form of a separate monoblock, which is installed on the towbar of the car. The weight of the entire system does not exceed 40 kg (permissible load on the towbar 50 kg). There are no alterations in the car itself, only a plastic line is laid under the bottom (it is absolutely invisible from the outside) under the hood, only a fan and an inlet to the mixer. Based on this, I am ready to argue with any traffic police inspector that I do not violate the laws. All they can show me is a loose cargo. For this, a fine of $ 2 (two liters of gasoline) is threatened. For six years of driving on wood, the police only look at me​:astonished: with such eyes and ask me how it works, then let me go.:woozy_face:

8 Likes

Bobmac,
I forgot to say, my car, this is a 1986 Opel Cadet (this is a copy of the American car Pontiac Lemans) 1.8l 115 hp engine

6 Likes

add a check valve on the water vapor line upstream of the venturi will prevent the air from circulating in the opposite direction?
the question I ask myself: is it possible to build a practically identical depression on the water vapor line and on the gas outlet of the generator? steam must come out of the hopper and enter the generator through the nozzle

1 Like

Good morning Steve,

Years ago I was intrigued with the idea of an electric supercharger for a boost of power. I clicked on the link you provided but it was a dead link. “Sorry, the page does not exist.”

When I looked into them, most folks put down the idea as a blow dryer and little more. To me, it would need a fairly high amperage blower. But, only needed when passing or going up a hill.

Sadly, life has gotten in the way of building my gasifier. Someday…

Thanks for your input on the DOW forum.

Todd

2 Likes

Hi Guys
In this video is an excellent explanation of when, and why they would water inject the high performance aircraft.
This is at 5 minutes. View at least thru to see-hear this:

Later in video the long pathways supercharger system is detailed out. This was actually an engine exhaust turbocharger system.
And the full video details out how a boys-club jabber-mouthed disparaged system was actually designs tweaked to better; and especially applied operator put to good working results.

Water-methanol injecting into IC engines only works after they have been intentionally overheated. Once you use up that destructive overheat, then the water will kill the performance.

Charcoal gasifiers the overheat is a continuous operating condition.
Different situation entirely.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Rule of thumb is a 50% derate on wood gas vs regular gasoline. It is frustrating. So what to do about it…

Wood gas is slower burning than regular gasoline. That tends to limit engine rpm and with it max power from a given engine. You can advance the timing so combustion starts sooner in each cycle to improve peak rpm but it will still be lower than on RUG.

Wood gas has lower energy density than gasoline so each cycle of the engine has a bit less oomph to it. Increasing the pressure of the wood gas puts more fuel into the engine cylinder per cycle. That helps power at the cost of complexity. Also not all wood gas has the same energy density. There are ways to make richer gas - like charcoal with water drip. Again - these are partial measures. Doubling the energy density of wood gas would require 14psi of boost. That is a lot (~30 feet of water column!)

Even pulling out all the stops you are not going to get the marketed HP from an engine on wood gas, not even close and there is nothing wrong with that. A given displacement engine, say 670cc, can only make so much power at a certain (lower) rpm on wood gas.

Personally I would just get a larger engine with higher stated HP and accept the downrating. At most I would bump the timing with the downside of potential damage running regular gasoline. Your time and money is better spent fixing an old 20 hp B&S tractor engine to generate 10 hp with no modification than trying to super charge a new Honda GX390 that can only ever make 10hp on RUG.

5 Likes

Wood gas has a very fast flame front it is faster than gasoline or am I missing atomization of the gasoline in the engine?

I have no problem bumping up piston head compression and adding a advanced timing key. I have two 420 genny’s here that need rebuilt. I am thinking of getting the stoker kit for the 420 cc predator but the output shaft is straight on the new crank. So thinking of going 24 volt DC on that one.

Another thing is on small engines some applications are fixed rpm like an AC generator. Another way is to DIY so you can gear the generator beyond the typical fixed RPM to get into a higher power curve.

Just going to a larger engine there is the sacrifice of loss in efficiency of turning the larger engine. A small engine will allways be higher effiiency than a larger counterpart. But then again there is no replacement for displacement. Anything you do to an engine gasoline will always do it better.

Another thought, is producing Kerosene with the systems like Koen and a few others are doing. You can drip this into a gasoline engine running wood gas to boost its power as well and it will help keep the engine clean and keep the valve seats wet and lubricated.

2 Likes

Another thought is to use a battery bank. Generally your loads will be oscillating loads. Using a battery bank with an inviter will get you much higher output than just running directly off the generator. As your loads decline the generator will store energy for the next time the load increases. As long you are not loading above the average output of the generator you can achieve more than you would otherwise and it will be more efficient. You can easily build a battery bank with a very capable inverter for less than $1000.00. A larger generator can cost this much and you lose the benefit of this stored power.

5 Likes

Speaking of timing advance in small engines, I have a box stock go kart engine with a 20 degree flywheel. I plan to put this on a motorized bicycle or maybe an enduro frame with a charcoal gasifier to see if it outperforms or matches my standard honda clone builds. It’s a bear to start with the timing advance and I have to add a bit of octane booster to my premium gas so I’ll consider the startup procedure of charcoal a benefit compared to the expense of that.

3 Likes

Matt, you have me double checking myself. I’m seeing slower flame propagation in the academic papers, but higher auto-ignition pressure. So earlier spark and more compression if you want to commit an engine to wood gas. I missed commenting on compression earlier. And all that said - I’ll stand by your doer’s experience Matt re: wood gas engines.

4 Likes

Im just going off the some of the explosion Ive experienced haha!!!, plus I know Hydrogen is super sonic and Im pretty sure CO is as well or is very close to it.

But what you said also make a ton of sense as well.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. What inverter are you using/recommend? I keep coming back to Victron’s Multiplus 3000. If the power from the generator is to low, it takes extra power/current from the batteries. I don’t see any other inverter do that. Then again, if you look at the price…

2 Likes