Wood supply

Well I have used the woodland pro chains for about 20 cord a year for about 15 years was why I thought I would share the link. Stihl does sell a good chain I don’t know who makes theirs now and I do like the oil holes in the chains they do keep oil in the bar groove better.

2 Likes

I do use those Woodland Pro ripping chains. Mostly because you can’t buy ripping chains in a store here or at least none I have found. No complaints with them and that was with the Husky with the less than optimum oiler.

2 Likes

With band saws you can cut a real big log. If you use a circular you need an UFO. Imagine the blade gets lose. I used to do maintenance at Knauf where the made wood wool plate. Logs in, wool out. Circular saw was 2m 6 feet big. Nice frisbee. Like I said before, woodworking scares me.

1 Like

True. With my circular saw I’m limited to about 1 meter (40 inch) in diameter :grin:

6 Likes

Yes, saw that one before. Beautiful to see. And always, what if? What if your blade runs loose? Aiai. To much mass in it compared to a band saw. And with that bandsaw you can cut bigger diam.

Some things we just talked about over here is how to cut a log? Wich parts are ok, wich is for firewood and so on. That is real craftmanship you don’t see to much anymore.

3 Likes

I have to say that is a very cool setup. It is the only machine I have seen that will cut both vertically and horizontally with the same blade and not require you roll the log.
The electric motor also helps with that design. Around here the bulk of our mills are powered by small gas motors 25 hp V twin honda motors are really common I wouldn’t want to flip one of those every pass.
But I am slightly confused. How does the blade cut in both pushing and pulling? Shouldn’t the rotation of the blade and the profile of the teeth only want to cut in one direction?

1 Like

Can you make 1 meter wide planks with your saw?
I would need it now, has helped a neighbor drive away some pine from his farm today.
The widest was 24 "in diameter and 5 meters long.

8 Likes

First I would have to find a one meter tree before I could find out. I don’t remember how wide I can cut at the maximum but it’s at least 30 inches. We don’t really have that many big diameter trees. This whole area, meaning the whole of Northern Michigan, was clear cut in the late 1800’s. Most of my trees are 2 ft or under.

I do have a pet peeve about all these videos. After you see them run back and forth a couple times that’s enough. Then I want to see some details about the saw itself. The ones they filmed showed me just about nothing. The devil is in the details.

1 Like

My bandsaw would definitely saw those 24" logs into live edged boards. It will cut a max width of 36" IIRC might be 32" I think my max slab thickness between the blade and the platform the motor sits on is 6 inches but I could be wrong there i have to admit the photos above show I messed that depth measurement up before.
The more I think about it the max distance between the posts on my mill is probably 36" but in reality I find 32 is about the max usable width after you put up the stops to hold the log that the posts will clear. There is something odd like that about how my bandsaw mill was marketed.
I think the largest slabs I have cut where just over 24" x 2.5" no idea what I will do with those but it was such pretty cherry i had to cut some wide slabs that will probably become coffee tables.

1 Like

Where was the music that went with your video? TomC
Oh, my two cents on ‘‘saws’’. If you want to cut construction lumber, lumber that you can use, a circular saw is the way to go. They are faster and will make you some real money.

1 Like

Dan, on a spinning wheel the rubber travels opposite directions on top vs bottom. Sorry, I couldn’t resist :smile: Both opposite sides of the blade are used, and yes, the teeth always have to cut in the same direction you’re pushing or pulling the sawhead. If not, the teeth can start climbing out of the cut and the sawhead will jump half a mile into the woods.

No, the blade is only 17.5" in diameter. I can make 6"X12" at the most, but log diameter doesn’t matter as long as it fits inside the frame.
What I like the most is, once you positioned the log once you’re done wrestling with it. Just pick up the final slab and roll in the next log.

Haha, I’ve never found one either. Half of that is heavy enough to deal with.

This one, right?

5 Likes

I’m with Wayne, I sharpen on the mill, with a cordless 4 1/2’’ grinder with a chainsaw grinding wheel, I do the back of the teeth 2-3 times, then just kiss the front of the teeth, then clean out the gullet. The gullet is where cracks start. The last blade I changed was sharpened about 10-15 times. It will still be used for cutting junky logs, or fence posts.:deciduous_tree:

2 Likes

When folks ask how well does my mill cut I reply it all depends how sharp the blade is :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Have Wood Will Travel

IMG_1201

Have Wood Will Stay Warm

IMG_1202

7 Likes

Wayne, do you really need more heat? :smile:

5 Likes

Hey JO, it’s getting kinda cold around here. It’s going to be in the upper 40’s F this week. Near-polar conditions. Need lots of firewood…

6 Likes

Upper 40s that is when you debate if you get out the long sleeve shirt or just work slightly harder in the t shirt…

8 Likes

I’m with @DanNH here. Upper 40s is when you get warm enough bringing a basket of firewood inside. No need to light it yet.
Jokes aside, we’ve had about that same temp for two months now. Some days as warm as lower 60s. One or two frost nights in September, that’s all. The new normal is to constantly brake records. Warmest October ever recorded. Most Midsummer weekends are about the same temp.

4 Likes

The same overhere. Looking some pictures from five years or something ago. The kids in the snow. Never happened the last years. Wintertires? No need anymore. Frost? I don’t count on it anymore. Elfstedentocht in Rindert/Jahee’s region? Dutch happening that the complete country goes crazy? Last one 25 years ago. Not in my lifetime anymore.

4 Likes

Post links deleted by myself, MikeR. :zipper_mouth_face:
How about a nice, hot cup of cocoa? :smile:
The first 1950’s video link I found within the Wikipedia entry about The Elfstedentocht, and the second link was a more modern video of the Austrian version of the above, a 60 minutes feature I found searching YouTube. Not hard to find.

1 Like