Woodgas 2020.....AGAIN!

Did you see many antelope?
Love to see some pics of the whole group.

5 Likes

No.
I post some pics of the group this evening. I’ll Have to find someone to take the pics.

5 Likes

Jake, you sure that was Kansas and not Nebraska? I’m sure the only difference would be the signs anyway…Maybe the sales tax. :slightly_smiling_face: Don’t tell the locals I said that. They probably can tell the difference.

Bob, I think he’s saying that even though the wood he got from Tom W. is dry, it is not as dense as our maple. Didn’t Tom post that it was all pine?. So even though it is not wet, he still doesn’t get the miles he would from a hopper-full. Correct that if I’m wrong Jake.

I’m jealous by the way.

7 Likes

It was a lumber grade 2400 more dense than most SPF grade so it is a little better than run of the mill 2X4. A 30 inch piece Average 3 lbs.

3 Likes

That maple is a dense wood, if this gasifer likes it the cherry wood I have might burn about the same for power and mileage. I also have poplar wood it burns okay but not like the cherry wood.
So you are jealous, hum… I probably shouldn’t mention that I will be driving along with them Yehovah willing then. Just remember this Billy with out you this would not have happen at all. On the last few hundred miles back home You and the wife should drop everything and go out and meet them and follow the crew back to the homestead.
The Yehovah God works in many different and wonderful ways.

Bob

7 Likes

I just talk to Jakob, they are just outside of Denver CO. Being a mile high in altitude the truck is still running good even though the air is thinner and in the dry climate. He said he is back to burning maple wood and refueling at 40 miles. Performance will improve once they get back down to the lower elevations.
If I recall @Wayne said he noticed a difference going over the Great Divide of the Rocky Mountains in 2008. Just keep feeding that gasifer, BBB, and SWEM with DOW.
Bob

6 Likes

Hello Bob.

So many variables with a gasifier it is hard to tell how much power is lost but I am sure there is some .

In two days we traveled from below sea level ( death valley ) to about 10,000 feet going over Yosemite park .

Very strange country compared to central Alabama :blush:

When Jakob finishes the trip he will be the third person from central Alabama to do so . BBB

Jakob , set back and watch the USA go by . You will be in the one in a hundred million club!!

11 Likes

Amen to that Wayne. Jakob will be the youngest to this trip too. Guinness world record for sure that can be recorded in the books on this trip.
I see why the bigger 318 engine are needed when climbing the big mountain ranges in the USA. A bigger stroker engine is even better.
Bob

6 Likes

That’s one of the few things that kept me from doing woodgas for years, until I saw how Kristijan fares. His terrain is pretty similar to mine in terms of steep hills.

6 Likes

Today we made it to Rindert Wesseling’s house. We went into southern Denver to visit some friends of my grandpa’s. We had a wonderful visit and he showed me around with what he has got going. Tomorrow we will bag and load wood then off to Cheyenne WY. It will be a short day right before some long ones headed over the MOUNTAINS and on into Oregon. I keep looking at the mountains in the distance Knowing im going to have to cross them.
I took videos no WIFI to upload.
One more state today.
KIMG0645

12 Likes

Making awesome time Jacob, how’s is the truck running?

4 Likes

Its doing ok Learning how to drive in altitude on new wood it a little tricky but all in all it is doing well. I don’t have the power that i did when i started off I’m not sure why totally probably has something to do with the system getting dirty.

6 Likes

How many miles logged so far?

4 Likes

1590 mile since I pulled out of my driveway. A little over half way to Corvallis.

7 Likes

Altitude has a lot to do with power…less O2 per stroke.

7 Likes

And probably it has an effect on the gasifier too!

Envyously following your steps Jake!

6 Likes

We had a very pleasant visit with @r_wesseling and his family last night and this morning. We woke up and Rindert cooked us a good breakfast. Then we spent a few hours bagging and loading wood. we loaded about 1300 lbs if I remember right. At about 10:00 am we left his place headed north for Cheyenne WY. We spent a while at the Welcome center and had a long talk with several people about wood gas and the trip. When we got into Cheyenne we went for a picnic In a local park for lunch. After the picnic we went parked under an overpass it the shade and Naomi and i did a brake job on the back of the wood hauling truck. I was going to put pads on all the way around but they gave me the wrong ones for the front and they apparently had a brake job recently because they were not even half worn out. We then went to harbor freight where I bought a few cargo nets, some bungie cords, and a few straps because I wanted the load of wood to be tied on better. We are now sitting in the A/C at Burger king using the WIFI to post this.

One more state down.
KIMG0703

KIMG0678
We didn’t get quite all he processed we ran out of bags.

KIMG0680
KIMG0681

The back of the bed on the blue truck can’t fit another bag as well. We should have enough to get all the way to @oregoncarl.
KIMG0687

KIMG0684

Bob and I were discussing the yesterday day about how hot and dry it was out here. Then a few hours later a few bags of wood caught on fire in the back of the truck. The wooden headboard got hot enough to light the bags on fire then the wood followed. I am right in the middle of Denver traffic And i have people telling me the back of my truck is on fire. I pull off and pour a jug of water on it no real damage done. I lost the little box Wayne gave me that i had been putting straps in.

KIMG0671

KIMG0676
KIMG0674
KIMG0711

KIMG0695

16 Likes

I am glad the fire didnt get out of control! Carrying a fire extinguisher might not be a bad idea now that you are crossing over into the parched West. We have still not had more than a trace of rain since June. I hope the fuel lasts you all the way out here. Is this the longest stretch between re-fueling on the trip? Apparently we need to do a DOW membership drive in Utah and Idaho, so maybe you could hand out fliers on your way through! :grinning: Anyway, I am excited to get to be a part of the adventure.

10 Likes

Way to go Reindert, the effort to cut and dry 1000 lbs of chunks is significant.
Also the picture of the travelers is appreciated.

9 Likes

I’m still trying to get one with all of us. This is the one we took the morning we left.

14 Likes